Sunday, November 1, 2009

Back in the saddle again...

It felt a bit like I was back in the saddle again today after 3 flights (Denver-Philadelphia-Frankfurt-Kiev) and about 14 hours in a plane seat. But, I'm back safely in Kiev and waiting in the train station for the train to Kherson.

There's apparently a significant flu outbreak here, in particular in the western part of the country. So, Nadia told me that they have actually "closed" down that part of the country. No travel into or out of the western region for the next week or so. A ton of people here in Kiev are wearing surgical masks as a precaution. Nadia had purchased a few of those basic "dust" masks you can get at the hardware store (like Home Depot) and she gave me one. She said that the pharmacies are all sold out of the surgical masks.

She doesn't think it's as bad down in Kherson...it's mostly the worry about what might happen in the next week in the big metro cities like Kiev.

Nadia gave me papers from the SDA to take with me to Kherson. I'm really hoping we can have court tomorrow (Monday). Let's get this ball rolling!

I hope all my state-side friends and family remembered to turn your clocks back!

Appreciate your prayers for continued safe travel and reuniting with Natasha and Pasha.

More tomorrow.

Bruce

2 comments:

  1. Good luck and prayers to you - hope this trip gives you great results!! Was just reading in the paper today about Ukraine banning large gatherings for the next 3 weeks, it said they even have shut the schools down! Be safe and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize!! Enough said.

    ReplyDelete