Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Crazy Exciting Day!


Well, not really. I'm just messing with you!

It was really more of the same. Although I did learn a few things about Ukraine or maybe about myself today that I'd like to share with you:

  1. Sitting in a restaurant for your one meal out each day can be kind of lonely.
    Sitting in a restaurant for your one meal out each day while playing Sudoku on your borrowed cell phone rocks!

  2. Walking the quarter mile or so through the old cemetery on the way to downtown at dusk is not so scary.
    Walking the quarter mile or so through the old cemetery on the way back to the Bible House in pitch black at 8PM is a bit more scary, especially when someone is walking behind you about 20 yards the whole way.

  3. Being here by myself does not give me much opportunity to speak English in sentences longer than a few mono-syllabic words. Even when I speak English with someone who clearly understands English, I still use the same few mono-syllabic words (and even a little bit of a Russian accent....).

  4. I know I have super human hearing when I can pick up an English word spoken in a hallway filled with kids at the internot (Today I met a couple from Texas adopting a 15 year old girl at the same orphanage as Natasha and Pasha. I hope to meet up with them for dinner or something soon.)

  5. Surgical masks are like gold (and I scored one today for free!).

  6. You don't need to ride the buses to get around Kherson...you just need good walking shoes and a lot of time on your hands (I haven't ridden a bus yet, and have walked every where. I'm not getting on those buses....you just know they're filled with all those people who have swine flu and haven't scored a free mask like I did!)

  7. Even if you don't speak Russian, you can still usually communicate OK with servers helping you at restaurants. It becomes infinitely more difficult when all the servers in the restaurants are wearing surgical masks and all you have to go on is eye contact!

  8. A few good chuckles watching a re-run of The Office can really lift one's spirits.

  9. Hearing a 14 year old girl tell the 14 year old girl that you're adopting that she would like to have a family too, breaks your heart no matter how many times it happens.

  10. Aw heck, I don't have anything else. I just wanted to have a list of 10 things on my post today.

Well, the only real news of today is that our request to have the 10 day waiting period waived or reduced was denied. Oh well, at least we tried. Tanya said that the judge was sympathetic but there was nothing she could do about it. So, we wait. One week from today we'll have the final court decree and we can start sprinting again.

Thanks for everyone's prayer support. Please pray that Pasha would feel well soon and that Natasha and her roomies would use the hand sanitizer I gave them today! :)

Later,

Bruce

9 comments:

  1. Love the post, would like to see pics of the masses in surgical masks! LOL! The nurse in me knows that they do not prevent the spread of LARGE wet droplets (like sneezing and runny noses) so are for psychological protection mainly. I am so glad there is another couple for you to meet up with! And I'm not surprised at the 10 day waiver, Kherson is one of the regions that got judges "caught" taking bribes two years ago so is on the radar list from administration! Hang in there! You will be home soon! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, Bruce. I'm sure it's so hard to pass the time by yourself. We're thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your blog to Dad. We were hoping to that they would reduce the wait time. Oh, well, now you know at least. We pray that everything will go smoothly.
    I just heard a report on the radio on NPR about the "Ukraine's draconium efforts in their fight against the swine flu". The reporter and people she talked to in the Ukraine believe it is all a political stunt by the person who is beginning her new campaign for office? Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all of you stay well for the next couple weeks. Had dinner with Marj and Bob Terpstra tonight and showed them pictures of your family and Natasha and Pasha. A good evening together. Take good care of yourself and be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the top ten. We can always use a good laugh. It makes you feel so special when the wait staff has the mask dangling around their neck until they come to serve the foreigners and then completely covers mouth and nose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the walking everywhere. We found we could walk to everywhere we needed to too except when there was snow on the ground. Then it become treacherous! Is it very cold?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bruce, you should drop Sudoku and play Bejeweled! Now that is a game for champions. Looking forward to beingin Denver in 6 short weeks and meeting the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mister, where's our posts! Don't you know it's all about your readers over here!

    In all seriousness, hope you are having a wonderful time and that things are going well. Praying for you guys!

    Felix

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh you amuse me! This was great. Do you know the name of the 15-year-old being adopted? I'm curious if I know her!
    Give me a call sometime- Yulia and i look forward to seeing you when you all come a the end of the month.
    Blessings!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete